Reindeer Sledding with Saami CultureShow map
Try reindeer sledding, the oldest form of transport in the north, with authentic Saami guides from the family-run company Tromsø Lapland. During your visit you will also experience feeding the reindeer-herd, Saami food, storytelling, cultural artifacts and joik.
Enjoy the peace and quiet from the nature around as you relax on a sled gently pulled by a reindeer.
Allow yourself to become one with nature and replenish your mind and soul on your outdoor excursion with us. The camp is established and run by authentic Saami people with long reindeer herding traditions.
You will get up-close and personal with our beautiful animals as you allow them to take you floating across the snowy landscape. Our expert guides will inform you of the ancient lifestyles of reindeer herders, as you explore the land in the same way they have for centuries. By taking part in this daytime excursion we hope you will be charmed by the fascinating reindeer and find that you love our gentle but curious and furry creatures just like we do - Our true hero in the Arctic.
* If conditions change, we keep the right to amend the duration of the reindeer sledding.
* All animals used for these services are trained for the activity, however, the behavior of animals can be unpredictable and therefore it is essential that all participants follow all given instructions for their safety, and the safety of others.
* The sledding takes place as a "raid" where each reindeer and sled are bound together in a long row with the lead reindeer in the front.
* Sleds are shared, two participants on one sled.
* Alternative: The Reindeer Sledding is subject to snow and when there is not enough snow we offer Reindeer Feeding and Saami Culture instead (NOK 1195 per person)
Number of participants: 2-48
Level of difficulty: Easy / Family.
Not suitable for wheel-chair.
Duration: 4-5 hours
• Scenic transfers (45 min each way)
• Knowledgeable English-speaking Saami guide
• Thermal winter suit, warm boots, hat and mittens
• Reindeer sledding (approx. 30 min)
• Storytelling and joik
• Hot traditional Saami meal (bithos) and hot drinks. Vegetarian option available on request.
What to bring:
Latest meeting time and place: 09:50 (9.50am) at Radisson Blu Hotel, Sjøgata 7
Departure time and place: 10:00 (10am) from Radisson Blu Hotel
After getting picked up at the departure location you will head on to the scenic landscapes at the edge of Tromsø, 45 km from the city center. This mountainous area close to the Lyngen Alps is home to magnificent coastal sceneries and idyllic villages.